Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Finding Additional Revenue

Giorgio
Flari-Merchant
What level necromancer is required to raise this many skeletons at one time? smile

One who is willing to spend 4 hours doing research, writing, editing and posting for a worthy cause. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Iram Thelbane
Giorgio
Flari-Merchant
You are suggesting that there are MANY "out there" who would take advantage of such an offer. Game has been running for 3+ years. I have no idea, but let's assume that the average account would need 12 catch-up months. Would you pay $143.40+ tax RIGHT NOW for each account to catch it up? How about Day 1 accounts that had their "free year already? Would they pay $286.80+ tax for each of their accounts, RIGHT NOW to have their xp caught up? With the game as it is now? Need to be able to prove that such a narrow approach to the problem would actually pay off for the work of just one revenue mechanic.

1) Yes, I would gladly drop $500 right now to get "catch up XP" for my accounts if offered. I have no interest in any of the new premium options recently released, I already have two active accounts (the limit I can actually play) and GW is not giving me any good options to spend my money on. I WANT to give GW some more money, but they need to offer me something I want to spend it on.

2) Not only am I suggesting there are many accounts that are dormant and are potentially a lucrative source of revenue if their players are given a chance to buy "catch up X" if offered, I would like to bring everyone's attention to a bit of historical context as to why so many players left the game in the first place.

When PFO launched it was gaining players and making progress on a steady bases until the summer of 2015 and then the great silence before (SEP 15) Blog: Lisa’s Community Address, happened and the game crashed and burned. During that dark time, and the "New Corp" false hope, the player base continued to bleed from that point until around (MAR 17) Blog: The Road Forward, when we finally got solid news that the game's server would not be disabled the next month and that there was a new plan to actually finish the game and go to Open Enrollment (OE) under Paizo's leadership.

That is about an 18 month gap where active players where leaving in droves a game that looked doomed with no hope of survival. I am confident that 90%+ of my own settlement's members stopped playing in the time frame. I personally reduced my subscriptions from six accounts to maybe one or two during this time, and many of those months I had zero accounts active cause I had to prioritize putting food on the table and gas in my car versus paying for a game I basically lost real interest in and wasn't confident would even survive (sorry GW team, it's what I felt back then).

How much revenue did GW loose just from me, my company and my settlement in that time?

Multiple that type of lost revenue across the whole sever in that time frame. How many accounts are now "out there" that are a potential source of "catch up XP" revenue now that this game is in active development again, has a plan for release and is significantly better improved since June-July-August 2015? I would wager that the amount of potential revenue to gain is not "insignificant".

This suggestion is not an "either/or" option, it can be a part of a different series of options available to GW to increase revenue NOW so they can hopefully increase their staff and not only implement the Road Map they have, but add more to it (especially everything being held back because of a lack of an art team). The Road Map implementation is the key to gaining new players and growing the player base, anything that can help them get there faster is worth taking a look at.

This thread would not be here if Bob/Cole/Lisa where not interested in exploring their financial options while development continues.

3) Brace yourself for more links, I am going to help bring the new players up to speed on 3 years worth of related topics so they can see what has been written and debated, and add their perspective and voices to these conversations. smile

Very interesting, thanks Giorgio.

I think that we have to define some basis for this thread, and every analysis that help well understand the trouble will be welcome.
First of all. We have to decide from where the new revenue should come, old players, new players, etc. So we can discuss on the same things!

I apologize, English is not my mother's tongue so it can be difficult for me to well explain my point of view!

Edit: Thanks Giorgio for the list of threads linked to this subject, and thanks Flari for your joke! smile
Iram Thelbane
We have to think about something:

There were an offer, the bundle, that's allow a lot of new players to try the game at a very low cost there are few months. But why only all of them don't stay, and why only few of them stay?

I think it's really an important thing to know!
Flari-Merchant
Bah! The most important thing that Paizo can possibly do is to increase the revenue generating player base. Period.

Things that are only going to bring in limited infusions of capital are still great if they can be done with minimum amounts of work and as little negative feedback as possible. Otherwise do not waste effort on them. The player base is like a capital source, sure. It is limited though. It only holds so much juice.

Instead of spending too much effort on squeezing a limited small source, GET MORE LEMONS.

So much I want to write here but it has been written 100+ times…. Leverage THE FEEL of PFRPG. Leverage it to the max.
Flari-Merchant
Iram Thelbane

There were an offer, the bundle, that's allow a lot of new players to try the game at a very low cost there are few months. But why only all of them don't stay, and why only few of them stay?

They do not stay because there are too many negative impression factors. The community is fantastic so that is not one of them. The Devs are fantastic so that is not one of those factors either.

Because of the negative impression factors be they feeling that you have no purpose, graphics, don't like the xp system, wanted/expected more PFRPG in your PfO, whatever - this is a "niche" game. Unfortunately a niche game needs to have a few features that can't be found in other games. PfO really doesn't yet.

-Put the FLAVOR of PFRPG into the game.
-Drive more toward DM(GM or Player) designed and run adventures
-PFRPG equipment names, NPCs, atmosphere
-Niche stuff…. add short time possessed artifacts, powerful short lived items, add stuff that makes the world shake shiver and roll for a little while now and again…
This is all only really "fluff" stuff and low on code impact

OTHER STUFF-just a few things, ranting too much
-add roles/classes(what are they really except a collection of armor feats, feature feats and a mix of other feats?)
-If you want PVP to be an attractant feature… damn it! Make it REWARDING. Most of those left playing avoid PVP (of all types) because losing gear or losing territory is all out of proportion(cost wise) with reward for the activity. HIGH END GEAR AND BUILDINGS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE TO RISK. That is not in player's control. It is in Paizo's control

The game needs to be exciting. If you can't do it with AAA coded art and mechanics, do it with activity and events
Edam
Iram Thelbane

With those sort of promotions it is never intended that everyone stays. It is more a fishing exercise which repeated often enough builds up to a useful number of new regulars. Think of real world things like gym promotions, only a fraction of people will stay after the free membership ends but its still enough to make the promotions worthwhile doing.

What I found interesting is how many did stay on. More than I expected. Keepers picked up quite a few new players and they are still around, I am sure most other settlements did the same. I know you guys at Carpe did well from it and I assume most other active groups picked up a few people. I am sure we lost the odd player that applied to an inactive group/settlement and left after getting no response but all in all I think most groups did ok out of it.
Iram Thelbane
Thanks Flari and Edam.

I agree with Flari on one important point: PFO is a niche game. So an important thing to do is to develop particular things that can not been played in others well known MMO.

For exemple, i think that it's a very bad idea to add some features that's allow to quickly increase the power of characters to a very high rank.
Because WoW is doing it, for exemple, and in WoW the result is that you can play in a lot of areas where you can no one, because all players are in the areas that are designed for high levels where they can increase their power.
When players do not use a big part of your game it's a waste of development time!
Plus in WoW, most players are there in order to increase their power, and that's the only thing that make them play the game. I think, that if PFO change its game designed and try to attract new players only interested in power leveling, PFO will die, because it will compete with a lot of big MMO that have plenty of ressources and can not attract a lot of players on long term…

When i was playing at WoW (there is a long time ago in a far away life (no, i don't wrote "galaxy"! smile ) there were some players (few of them, but a not so tiny quantity) that were doing role play in game. For exemple they were playing as barmaid in tavern, which is not so exciting in WoW game design, and other players, like me, were coming in this tavern for meetings, it was a nice thing.
If PFO can develop some features that allow more role play it can attract those kind of players.

There is another kind of players that are targeted by the actual game design, if i have well understood, it's the casual players. A casual player want to have fun when he play, playing with groups on an escalation, make quests, etc… The actual game design match this thing for a part, because characters earn xp each hour in real time, but achievements are constraints that's are hard to reach when you are playing as casual… Achievements are not so difficults to reach, except perhaps for one particular rank, but it's needing a long playing game time. So it can be difficult for casual players to develop their characters with a little playing time. (I particulary think about the kill achievements needed in order to develop the attacks level)
Demiurge
One point worth making. Allowing people to create more DT accounts is a fundamentally stupid idea if we are trying to increase cash flow. Allowing people to front up cash per month to train more characters on a standard account is the way to go.

That said, unless a player is really strapped for cash, a DT has some serious downsides compared to two standard accounts. Firstly, unlike the normal accounts where all three characters can be trained to a useful level, the DT is stuck with a 1000 point alt that can never be trained. Secondly the DT characters can never be logged simultaneously making inter-character trading a total PITA.
Giorgio
I have been doing some multi settlement runs the last few weeks, and I keep seeing more and more of the various studios making appearances. Good to know at least some people have found the new premium options appealing. smile

First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

Giorgio
Demiurge
One point worth making. Allowing people to create more DT accounts is a fundamentally stupid idea if we are trying to increase cash flow.

After reading dozens of threads on DTs (a few of which I linked in some posts above), I don't believe the purpose of more DT accounts is primarily one of more revenue, but that of giving existing non-DT account and brand new accounts the options of having this feature available. Giving ALL players accounts a baseline of two XP earning characters allows players to try different character concepts and playstyles, gives more "value for you dollar" for a subscription based game, and allows for more experimentation and fun. There a lots of debates on the merits (or not) of this idea.

There are many good ideas on more options for additional XP earning characters (at different price points) in the previous pages of this very thread that are more viable for generating additional revenue.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post